From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-10-24 01:11:18

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 2:12 PM Ryan Heniser via Boost-users <
boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building Boost 1.61 (we need this old version for other libraries)
> for the first time at work with Boost.Build (b2). I have successfully built
> Boost (using b2) for gcc 4.8. If I want to add one or more variants (for
> example using gcc 6.3), where should I put the Boost header’s include
> directory?

So the header directory isn't going to change since it's the same version
of boost, but the output directories will. First you'll need to add
another variant to your user-config.jam file. Like this

using gcc : 6.3 : g++-6.3 ;

where g++-6.3 is the compiler ext name. Then when you invoke b2 you'll name
the toolset:

b2 -toolset=gcc-6.3

in the bin.v2 subdirectories you'll see new subtrees for the newly compiled
variants.
 libs/date_time/build/gcc-4.8/release/...
 libs/date_time/build/gcc-6.3/release/...

Should one go inside each variant or should just one go at the root