is rtti enabled? VC++ IDE doesn't enable it by default.

Robert Ramey
"Yan Zhang" <Yan.Zhang@mitchell.com> wrote in message news:F96935FCB9C3D549B3B6CD8915811A2F0F746544@mail60nt.mitchell.com...

Hi Jeff,

I installed Boost 1.32 on my computer (Windows Server 2003 and Visual Studio .NET 2003). A directory: \boost_1_32_0 was created. In \boost_1_32_0\libs\serialization\vc7ide, I found the projects for building serialization library and test examples. I can build the library (libboost_serialization.lib) and examples, and they run well. All examples are Windows console applications.

Then I created an MFC application, linked it with the library. In Document class, I did a test similar to the one presented in demo_xml.cpp and demo_xml.hpp:

#include "stdafx.h"

#include "MFCTests.h"

#include "MFCTestsDoc.h"

#include <iostream>

#include <sstream>

#include <string>

#include <boost/archive/tmpdir.hpp>

#include <boost/archive/xml_oarchive.hpp>

#include "demo_xml.hpp"

….

void CMFCTestsDoc::OnTestSerialize()

{

    bus_stop *bs0 = new bus_stop_corner(

        gps_position(34, 135, 52.560f),

        gps_position(134, 22, 78.30f),

        "24th Street", "10th Avenue"

    );

    std::string filename(boost::archive::tmpdir());

    filename += "/demo.xml";

    std::ofstream ofs(filename.c_str());

    assert(ofs.good());

    boost::archive::xml_oarchive oa(ofs);

    oa << BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(*bs0);

        …

}

Execution fails in last statement with message:

Unhandled exception at 0x77e55dea in MFCTests.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: __non_rtti_object @ 0x0012e800.

The build was debug build, application and library were build with runtime library option “Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd)”. I tried to use different options such as “Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd)”, it failed the same way.

In MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/boostvc.asp), it discussed Boost for Visual Studio C++. It stated that Boost works well with VC++ 7.1. Of course we know it doesn’t work well with previous VC++ such as VC++ 6.0 which I tried and failed badly.

Thanks,

Yan