Thank you for your answer,

I understand now. I saw the code, that would use the name. But I couldn't see why it was not invoked.
My actual intent is to use boost::serialization in a very special way. I am going to write a xml_archive replacement, that will enable me to read nearly arbitrary xml. My first plan was to write an own serialization. After looking into boost::serialization I thought it wouldn't be clever to not use as much of this great code as possible. I especially appreciate that the serialize function does not need to be virtual, and therefore can accept a non polymorphic archive. It seems there is a great level of savvy gone into that part.

An alternative for me would be to use an xml-parser directly. But that would not give me the option to model the xml by means of c++ classes.

Maybe somebody knows a library or some building blocks that may take me a step closer to my goal?

Ingo

At 03:55 16.05.2007, you wrote:

"Ingo Nolden" <nuttygraphics@gmx.de> wrote in message news:20070515191535.399222F8109@wowbagger.osl.iu.edu...
Hi,

I am a bit confused about the purpose of GUID. My understanding was, that it is a user defined id for a class, so that the serialization mechanism knows what types to instanciate on load. I somehow assumed it to be a replacement (or equivalent) of the numbers in the class_id attributes.

*** This is correct.  But the "text ID" (GUID) is used only as a last resort.  That
basically boils down to derived pointers.  In other cases, the archive local
class id can be generated and used instead. So that's what the serialization
library does

Robert Ramey