Hello,

I tested the MVS memory leak detector few months ago and it don't seem return the allocation file path until you use "malloc" instead of "new". (at least in my tests - tried with an empty application) It's a shame.

Anyway, there is another way to add more informations if you can run your application with exactly the same state twice. I discovered it maybe 30 minutes ago and it worked well for my case.

As stated there : http://www.oneunified.net/blog/Personal/SoftwareDevelopment/MemoryLeakDetection.article
and there : http://winter.eecs.umich.edu/soarwiki/Tracking_down_memory_leaks

you can add a breakpoint on a specific leaking memory allocation (between brackets in the debug log) by setting _crtBreakAlloc variable to it's allocation id

Like in the last link exemple, on the start of you main() :

#ifdef _MSC_VER
//_crtBreakAlloc = 1828; // uncomment that line and set the leaking memory allocation id instead of 1828
_CrtSetDbgFlag ( _CRTDBG_ALLOC_MEM_DF | _CRTDBG_LEAK_CHECK_DF );

#endif // _MSC_VER

The MSDN docs are not verry explicit about that ( neither for vc8 nor vc9 ).

Hope that helps.

Joël Lamotte.

On Jan 20, 2008 9:13 AM, Serge Skorokhodov <serge.skorokhodov@tochka.ru> wrote:
Jamie Cook wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using the boost.test unit tests with memory leak detection turned on

<skip>

> Running 1 test case...
> Detected memory leaks!
> Dumping objects ->
> {171} normal block at 0x00378B88, 1280 bytes long.
>  Data: <  7 lationStatis> A8 8D 37 00 6C 61 74 69 6F 6E 53 74 61 74 69 73
> Object dump complete.
>
> My question is this... how can I enable more informative memory leak
> output?

<skip>

It looks like standard output of MS debug runtime. How can it be
improved? ;)