On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Anthony Williams <anthony_w.geo@yahoo.com> wrote:
Johan Råde <rade@maths.lth.se> writes:

> I want to do a timed join, with  a relative time of 0.1s.
> I can not figure out from the docs how to do this.
> I find the prototypes somewhat mystifying:
>
>      bool timed_join(const system_time& wait_until);
>
>      template<typename TimeDuration> bool timed_join(TimeDuration const& rel_time);
>
> What is system_time?
> What should TimeDuration be?

system_time is declared in boost/thread/thread_time.hpp: it is a typedef to
boost::posix_time::ptime from the date-time library.

TimeDuration is any boost date-time
duration. e.g. boost::posix_time::milliseconds

You are not the only person to notice the missing docs for the timeout
stuff. It's on my list of things to add.

There's some examples of how to construct these types on the boost date-time docs:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/doc/html/date_time/posix_time.html#date_time.posix_time.time_duration

You can use time_duration, but really the easy way is to construct from the 'count types'": milliseconds, nanoseconds, etc.

Jeff