On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 2:55 PM, JOAQUIN M. LOPEZ MUÑOZ <joaquin@tid.es> wrote:
(Excuse the slow pace of this thread, I've been on vacation with little
access to the Internet).

Enviado el: jueves, 21 de agosto de 2008 0:17

Para: boost-users@lists.boost.org
Asunto: Re: [Boost-users] Multi-index container (Modifying non-unique key in the container)

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:02 AM, JOAQUIN M. LOPEZ MUÑOZ <joaquin@tid.es> wrote:

Yes, but DataMap seems to *replicate* the keys that are already
present in A. Cannot you just have the following?

typedef multi_index_container<
  A*,
    indexed_by<
        ordered_unique<
            tag <Key1>, BOOST_MULTI_INDEX_MEMBER(A,std::string,Key1)>,
        ordered_non_unique<
                  tag<Key2>,BOOST_MULTI_INDEX_MEMBER(A,long,Key2)>,
              ordered_unique<
                  tag<Key3>,BOOST_MULTI_INDEX_MEMBER(A,long,Key3)>

> tDMap;

[...]

> If I would remove the keys the map would just hold pointers and I wouldnt be able to
> do lookups based on the keys (to retrieve pointers to objects based on keys) if I wouldnt
> pair the pointers with they keys in the Map - thats why I have the keys in the map, please
> correct me if am wrong.
You can use the members of the pointed to objects of type A as keys of your container.
This is discussed in detail at:

http://www.boost.org/libs/multi_index/doc/reference/key_extraction.html#chained_pointers

In particular, I think that the tDMap definition I gave above should work directly. Please
report back if this is not the case.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo

My turn to ask you for excuse :)

Didnt get a chance to come back to you real quick on this. I dug up the thread archive on multi-index,  after seeing your note , found holle.cpp, found it very comprehensive. It does explain pretty much all of multi-index capabilities.
Thanks a bunch correcting the data structure. I dont think I need to keep the keys inside the map.

Regards
Ramesh