On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Vladimir Prus <vladimir@codesourcery.com> wrote:
Robert Dailey wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Zeljko Vrba <zvrba@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 01:38:35PM -0500, Robert Dailey wrote:
>> >
>> > Sorry to rush this, but I'm completely blocked until I can build boost
>> with
>> > reasonable library names on Windows. Can anyone help me figure out what I
>> > need to do to get the library names generated without any mangling?
>> >
>> Sorry for jumping into the discussion, but I'm curious..  You probably do
>> not
>> build boost every day, so why don't you just manually rename or copy the
>> resulting lib files to some sane names?
>

> Because if I decide to use shared libraries, doing so will prevent the
> import libraries from finding their corresponding shared library. Not to
> mention that this is tedious to do. I would have to do this each time I
> upgrade boost.
>
> @Valdimir
>
> I apologize, I must not be communicating with you in the same language. I
> thought this would be simple to explain. Let me try to explain this with as
> many details as I can just to make sure I'm clear. When I built boost 1.38
> for Windows x86 using VS9, I used the following command line:
>
> bjam --toolset=msvc --layout=system link=shared threading=multi release
> debug stage
> *
> *
> When I did this, my library names looked like this (For the Boost.Filesystem
> library):
>
> boost_filesystem-mt-gd.lib
> boost_filesystem-mt.lib
>
> Everything worked just fine. The reason why I used --layout=system was so
> that the library names were more simplified and did not contain information
> like the version of boost used.
>
> However, when I try the very same command line with Boost 1.39 I get the
> errors I posted earlier. I can't explain this any simpler than I am. I am
> merely a user of boost, I do not have the domain knowledge to delve into
> Boost.Build, nor do I want to learn it. My goal is to build boost the way I
> want, not to learn a new build system. I'm already a bit upset that this is
> turning out to be so complicated, I just want it to work like it is supposed
> to.

Because we go any further: do you know what 'patch file' is and what to do
with it?

Yes, I did not mean to imply that I was that clueless lol. I just don't know squat about Boost.Build, that's all.

Are you implying that this is a bug in Boost.Build (or Boost itself) and that a patch has been made to fix it?