Which docs? Did you try the Getting Started Guide?
Yes -- on the page you link to, it says "If you're using a compiler other than your system's default, you'll need to use Boost.Build to create binaries."
I'm using clang (because that's the most up-to-date C++ compiler I've been able to install on my machine), so I need to build the binaries, I guess?

On 14 July 2011 08:20, Thomas Heller <thom.heller@googlemail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM, doug livesey <biot023@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You should run the bootstrap script and b2 executable from the boost root
>> directory (not tools/build/v2).
> Ah, yes, but I want to install b2 so that I can build boost myself (I'm
> using clang, not GCC), and the docs say to do that in tools/build/v2 first.

Which docs? Did you try the Getting Started Guide?
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html#prepare-to-use-a-boost-library-binary

I may miss something ... but this procedure is working for me since
quite a while now ... As for installing b2, it is enough to put it
into $PATH