That seems to have done the trick, thanks!
The install has worked, anyway -- I'll get around to testing it this weekend.
Thanks very, very much!
   Doug.

On 14 July 2011 08:42, Thomas Heller <thom.heller@googlemail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM, doug livesey <biot023@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which docs? Did you try the Getting Started Guide?
> Yes -- on the page you link to, it says "If you're using a compiler other
> than your system's default, you'll need to use Boost.Build to create
> binaries."
> I'm using clang (because that's the most up-to-date C++ compiler I've been
> able to install on my machine), so I need to build the binaries, I guess?

Building the Boost.Build binaries with the default system compiler
should be fine.
What you want to do is to invoke the actual building with a different toolset.
This is what you want to do:
$ cd boost_1_47_0
$ ./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/path/to/your/boost/installation
$ ./b2 toolset=clang install

these set of commands will build the b2 with gcc, but the libraries
itself with clang.

HTH,
Thomas