On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

on Sat Aug 27 2011, John Maddock <boost.regex-AT-virgin.net> wrote:

> * Should we have a single unified concept for all number types in
> Boost.... if yes what happens when the next latest and greatest
> library comes along and requires slightly different concepts to
> function efficiently?  What I'm saying is it's pretty hard to get this
> right.

This is to say nothing of the semantic vagaries of limited-precision
floating point.  It's almost impossible to even create reliable
mathematical concepts that accomodate floats, doubles, et. al.

Ain't that the plain truth. I can't speak for accommodating floats, doubles, etc. We pretty much decided to go with float or Single across the board for precision reasons for what we're doing.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing