From: boost-users-bounces@lists.boost.org [mailto:boost-users-bounces@lists.boost.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr.
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:53 AM
To:
boost-announce@lists.boost.org; boost-users@lists.boost.org
Subject: [Boost-users] [boost] Boost.Local Review (Nov 10, 2011 to Nov 19, 2011)

The review of Lorenzo Caminiti's proposed Boost.Local library begins tomorrow, ***November 10, 2011***, and ends on ***November 19, 2011***.

Other questions you may want to consider:

- What is your evaluation of the design?

I have some concern about manipulation of C++ to do things it wasn't really designed to:

if C++ is intended to have local functions, it should be part of the language.

'Abuse' like this tends to cause trouble, and more important, it puts off the day when we abandon this "absurdly ambiguous language" in favour of new language X (or have we run out of letters for new languages? ;-) un-shackled by any primitive and obsolete features inherited from C.

But that hasn't stopped many people making good use of such devices, for example, Boost.Parameter.

- What is your evaluation of the implementation?

It looks ugly and not very intuitive, but fiendishly clever with a reassuringly long set of examples & tests. Will it confuse debugging and tools like MS Intellisense?

- What is your evaluation of the documentation?

Very nicely produced  (including, I note with approval, quite nice  and full use of Doxygen-style comments to pass 'concept' information through to the C++ reference synopsis).  It only lacks an index, but that could easily be added.

- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Not fully convinced that it will be widely used, but much easier than the examples given which just (ab-)use the language features directly.

- Did you try to use the library?

No.

- How much effort did you put into your evaluation?

A quick reading of the docs.

- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
No.

Please state clearly whether you think this library should be accepted as a Boost library.

Sorry but, for what little it's worth, a definite 'don't know'.

I'm sure those knowledgeable about the problem domain will give more reasoned and significant votes.

Paul

---

Paul A. Bristow,

Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK