On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Matthias Schabel <boost@schabel-family.org> wrote:
> Has anyone done any work, conversions, etc, with Acceleration, Velocity, Displacement (Length) in terms of decibels? dB, dBA, dBV, etc, and conversions to/from more "conventional" units like meters, meters per second, meters per second per second?
>
> I am learning, for example, that it is possibly to integrate across the Time dimension in order to yield Velocity from Acceleration, or similarly, Displacement (Length) from Velocity.
>
> I am doing a job with these type conversions going on across a spectrum analysis and would be interested in hooking up the calculations using boost::units to help enforce dimensional / unit integrity.

Decibels and all their variants are defined as logs of ratios and, therefore, must be dimensionless. What would be sensible is to define various helper functions that take a quantity and return a log ratio.

Yessir, that jives with the legacy C/C++ code I am seeing. A lot of log10(...) and pow(10,...) converting to and from Db and from Acceleration to Velocity to Displacement and back.

Are there any examples how to construct such a ratio-based conversion? Many of them incorporate the frequency (or Time in hertz, I'm assuming) domain to pick up the dimensional conversion as well.

Thanks...

Matthias