Hi,

Thanks for the answer, that makes a lot of sense. To install it for myself do you know what directory I should download/extract the .zip directory to (usr, usr/include, usr/local etc.) ? Additionally what should I add as the prefix for the "./b2 install prefix=" command? I must apologize, I am very new to Linux and I have been trying to complete this process for the past few days to no avail.

All the best,
Blair

To: boost-users@lists.boost.org
From: leon@digiverse.si
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 19:14:46 +0200
Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Trouble Updating Boost to run OpenFOAM

On 09.06.2016 18:57, Blair Climenhaga wrote:
Hi,

I have done as you said a matter of days ago to OpenFOAM's forum and I have received no response. The matter is slightly urgent, hence why I chose to post to this mailing list. I am attempting to install/update to Boost 1.61.0 on my Ubuntu 12.04 workstation. Can you see any error in using the command below to achieve this/ any reason why not all directories would be added?
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
That would be the correct command. But I doubt it will install Boost 1.61, as it installs prebuilt Boost libraries packaged for Ubuntu fetched from ubuntu repositories. Since Ubuntu 12.04 you said you are running on your WS is rather old (16.04 LTS is out there) I don't believe the 12.04 repositories will get updated to Boost 1.61. Especially considering that even 16.04 comes with Boost 1.58.

If you need 1.61 your best bet is to download Boost 1.61 source distribution from the Boost site and build/install the stuff yourself.

Cheers,

Leon

All the best,
Blair

To: boost-users@lists.boost.org
From: damien@khubla.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:27:05 -0600

On 6/9/2016 10:16 AM, Blair Climenhaga wrote:

Hi,

The problem I need solved is how to add the needed Boost directories, which is a Boost problem. Even if had no intent to use it with OpenFOAM, I would still like to add the new directories and libraries. Do you know how this can be completed?

All the best,
Blair

To: boost-users@lists.boost.org
From: damien@khubla.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:09:11 -0600

On 6/9/2016 10:01 AM, Blair Climenhaga wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have recently begun using OpenFOAM which requires boost for some of its functions, however upon installing OpenFOAM it appears that some of the needed Boost contents are not in my usr/include/boost such as the directories container, move, intrusive, core and many others. I have attempted to update boost in multiple ways so that these directories are added to the boost directory however I have had no success. The two types of attempts I have made are listed below.

1. Using sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev, however this seems to just update the lib and provide me with the needed directories
2. Download the .zip of the newest boost version and follow the steps listed on the boost website. I have been downloading and installing the files to a directory in the home rather than usr and it seems that the product is not on the Path of the computer, as it is does not appear when I use the echo or whereis commands.

If anyone has any advice for how to solve this issue or any recommendations I would greatly appreciate the assistance. Thank you for your time and for your help in advance.

All the best,
Blair Climenhaga

This isn't really a Boost question.  However older guidelines for installing OpenFOAM on Ubuntu are here:

https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Installation/Linux/OpenFOAM-2.3.0/Ubuntu

You'll see that there's specific Boost dev libraries that need to be installed.  If this doesn't work you should ask on the OpenFOAM mailing list.

Damien

Well, not quite.  How Ubuntu manages their Boost installation is up to Ubuntu.  Boost installation is different on every Linux distribution.  Your best bet is to ask on the OpenFOAM mailing list seeing as that's the software you need to work.  They'll be able to tell you the apt-get commands to get the correct Boost libs for your Ubuntu and OpenFOAM versions.  Unless there's an OpenFOAM on Ubuntu expert on the Boost list that knows the answer.

Damien