On 12.10.2017 11:20, Stian Zeljko Vrba via Boost-users wrote:

If the application doesn't have write permission for a folder at run-time, why do you expect that it has the permission to change the permission on the folder? (Modifying the DACL of an object is also a separate permission.)

It kinda could have, I suppose, still automatically changing permissions on folder to facilitate requested write/create/modify would go very much against my expectations.

As for the original question, creating appropriate folder structure with installer would imo be a proper way to go.

Cheers,
Leon

From: Boost-users <boost-users-bounces@lists.boost.org> on behalf of Tim Burgess via Boost-users <boost-users@lists.boost.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:14:26 AM
To: 'boost-users list'
Cc: Tim Burgess
Subject: [Boost-users] boost::filesystem and writing to Windows programdata structure

Hi,

I’ve an application that has been working fine under Windows 7, but I’m now fixing up for running on later Windows versions. I’ve been hitting unhandled exceptions when writing to c:\programdata\(my company)\(my app name)\ and understand that this is due to the permissions for such folders being more restrictive on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

My research seems to indicate that I can modify my installer to set up my folders with appropriate permissions at install-time, but I’d prefer to use boost::filesystem to check folder/file permissions then change them at run-time, if necessary using appropriate csidl values.

Can anybody offer any advice, please?

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess