On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 at 18:09, Osman Zakir via Boost-users <boost-users@lists.boost.org> wrote:
And what about how to generate LLVM bitcode for Boost libraries?  Can I do it with the bootstrapper tool that comes with the Boost distribution when we download Boost source files?

 I'm cross-posting this from the cfe-dev list [I know nothing about this, just that the questions seem to be the same]

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:48:58 +0100
From: Alex Denisov via cfe-dev <cfe-dev@lists.llvm.org>
To: David Greene <dag@cray.com>
Cc: "cfe-dev@lists.llvm.org" <cfe-dev@lists.llvm.org>
Subject: Re: [cfe-dev] Getting LLVM IR from clang

Hi David,

There are at least two robust ways to get the Bitcode/IR:

1. LTO. You can enable link-time optimization by adding -flto compiler flags, in the end all object files (*.o) will in fact be bitcode files. I.e.:

    > file gmock.dir/gmock-gtest-all.cc.o
    gmock.dir/gmock-gtest-all.cc.o: LLVM bitcode, wrapper x86_6

2. Embedded bitcode. Clang 3.9 and higher has an option -fembed-bitcode. When enabled, the resulting executable will contain additional section containing bitcode.
You can use this great tool[1] to extract the bitcode from an executable.

Both approaches produce bitcode (binary format), if you need IR (human-readable format), then you can post-process the bitcode by running llvm-dis against each bitcode file.

I hope it helps.

[1] https://github.com/JDevlieghere/LibEBC

> On 28. Nov 2018, at 23:22, David Greene via cfe-dev <cfe-dev@lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> How do I get the LLVM IR produced by clang?  I know that -emit-llvm
> produces IR but it seems to be after processing by LLVM (things are
> optimized out, for example).  Is there an "official" way to get the IR
> coming right out of clang's codegen?  I can do a hack with -mllvm
> -print-before-all but that's icky.
>
> Thanks!
>
>                          -David

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein