On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 4:14 PM Michael Caisse <mcaisse-lists@ciere.com> wrote:
On 7/19/19 04:22, Tom Kent wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 5:43 PM Michael Caisse via Boost
> <boost@lists.boost.org <mailto:boost@lists.boost.org>> wrote:
>
>     Boost release 1.71.0 beta 1 is now available at:
>
>     <https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/beta/1.71.0.beta1.rc1/source/>
>
>     The SHA256 checksums are as follows:

<snip>

>     Please download the beta, give it a try, and report any problems you
>     encounter.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -- The Boost Release Team
>

> The directory is "RC1", is this the usual pre-beta RC series that we
> usually go through, or did the release team skip RC announcements this time?
>
> Tom

This is my mistake. The pre-beta RC series got skipped. I did a lot of
local testing and didn't fully understand the steps Marshall had been
following.

In short, if Tom thinks this package looks good then it is also the
Beta1. Sorry about the confusion and thank you for the feedback. The
next round will be executed better.

I'm not wild about changing the release process on the fly, especially if it eliminates the community's testing of RCs. I do a bunch of tests, but they are limited to the Windows/Visual Studio configurations, there's a much more diverse audience out there that we often get feedback from.

That said, if this is Beta1, I'll upload these binaries as the windows packages to bintray. (uploading now, should be visible in a few minutes)

Can you please fix the file names on bintray so that the beta release doesn't include the rc1 in the path or file name? E.g. the files should be at:
https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/beta/1.71.0.beta1/source/boost_1_71_0_b1.*

Just like they were for 1.70:
https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/beta/1.70.0.beta1/source/boost_1_70_0_b1.tar.bz2

Thanks,