Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Tests compilation broken (temporarily)
From: Barend Gehrels (Barend.Gehrels)
Date: 2009-05-01 06:08:56

> Yes, I use Property Sheets quite often and added them to SOCI.
I saw them using SOCI. SOCI is cool, I added a sample combining GGL and
SOCI and wanted to add a few more (using WKB e.g.). Then I wanted to
contact Soci if they are interested in such a thing but now that I know
you're one of the contributors, it will be done automatically :-)

> However, there are number of drawbacks. Simply, they are static
> and mostly users have different environments, so Linux ./configure-like
> dynamic configurator is required.
>
> Recently, I've been thinking of adding CMake configuration for GGL,
> However, it would make sense to have CMake only if we used custom
> CMake framework/macros added recently to Boost (looks like Boost is
> migrating to CMake?)
> Otherwise, we'd need to craft CMake config manually and get it lost
> after we move GGL to Boost.
Heard about CMake but don't use it.

> So, I'd consider the property sheets as a temporary solution.
> It works for now and we don't need user-friendly building
> configuration, I think.
I agree. Most C++ users can change one or two properties by hand, if
they use Boost they know how to turn it on.
Even using SOCI (I use it for a project) I don't use it anymore, I've my
own project file compiling it together with its project source files
(and GGL), not as a lib, not as a dll.

> Later, I'd vote for CMake - multiplatform meta-builder.
I'll have a look at CMake.

>> Maybe we can add the two dependant libraries in the samples (GD and
>> shapelib) to them or to a special version of them. That would be very
>> handy.
>
> You're reading my mind :-)
> Good idea, especially they are a few files only.
> I can do that during the weekend.
Nice. I now think it also might be confusing for people who don't want
to use those. So maybe we can add two independant sample sheets, one
basic, one with all external libraries (so also Soci :-)

>> I also like your careful exploration and corrections of header files
>> like size_t -> std::size_t, etc, I was not always too keen on that.
>
> OK. I like strict compilation mode, so I fix such small issues
> if you don't mind.
>
> By the way, have you tried to compile GGL with Comeau C/C++ ?
No.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net