Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] geometry::perimeter
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz)
Date: 2011-03-23 08:36:32

barend wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
>> I noticed that geometry::perimeter returns 0 for 2d boxes. Moreover it's
>> not implemented for higher dimensions.
>>
>> This kind of function calculating hypersurface of a geometry could be
>> usefull. I'll implement my own for now (for boxes).
>
> Good catch, will do that (for 2d) or, if your version is generic you can send a patch.

To be honest, there should be at least 3 functions:

perimeter - calculate sum of all edges lengths (for arbirary dimension
(for 1 it's equal to segment's length), or for dimension >= 2)

surface - sum of all faces' surfaces (dimension >= 2(for 2 it's equal to
area), or for dimension >= 3)

something which is called margin but it's not the best name IMO -
n-dimensional perimeter/surface/... generalization - for 2d it's 1d
value of perimeter, for 3d it's 2d value of surface, for 4d it should be
3d value of volumetric 4d hyper-faces, and so on...

> All these things might come but we currently concentrate on the Release, having names that fit into this scheme already.

Yes, of course.

Regards,
Adam

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net