Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] optimization of polygon intersection and difference calculations
From: Barend Gehrels (barend)
Date: 2011-03-31 04:52:10

Hi Vishnu,

On 30-3-2011 20:16, Vishnu wrote:
> Are the functions that calculate intersection and difference of two
> multi_polygons optimized to rule out testing polygons in the 'subject' set
> against those polygons in the 'clip' set that don't overlap with the
> subject?

Yes. They are overlayed by monotonic sections, and those sections are
handled by partitioning (quad-tree like approach without a stored index).

> Suppose one has a multi_polygon with one polygon in a 'subject' set
> and a second multi_polygon with 1000 polygons in the 'clip' set. It's
> possible that only one of the 1000 polygons in the 'clip' set overlaps the
> polygon in the 'subject' set.

Yes. Do you experience problems with this? If so, can you send me a
test-set? (2 wkt's)

The only optimiziation which still can be done is the assignment of
non-overlapping rings after intersecting. It might be that that is an
issue here. Will be solved later on, the problem is assigned.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net