Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] 'area' and 'within' implementations for spherical earth?
From: Barend Gehrels (barend)
Date: 2011-07-11 12:24:07

Hi Thomas,

> I'd love to use boost.geometry to model some geospatial stuff, but do I
> understand correctly that most functionality isn't implemented for
> spheres/ellipsoids yet? When I use the latlon.hpp extension, stuff like
> 'area', 'centroid', and 'within' is not available for cs::geographic.

- within is available
- area is available for spherical, but not for geographic. I'm busy with that one, hope to add it soon to trunk
- centroid, and several other algorithms, are indeed not yet available for geographic.

> Are there plans to fully support GIS type stuff?

Yes, most noticeably the intersections would be great, but that will take a little longer.

> Or will the focus
> remain on cartesian? I only need a spherical earth, not necessarily
> WGS84.
>
> Could anyone point me to a good way to get the sort of functionality
> cartesian boost.geo offers but for GIS?

Don't know comparables w.r.t. spherical/geo. I'm a GIS person as well so GIS is getting much attention ;-)

regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net