Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Ring type as template parameter for polygon
From: Tarem, Zvi (zvi.tarem)
Date: 2011-11-20 16:16:39

I totally agree regarding the uncontrolled proliferation of macros.

As for consistency, consider this:
->A coordinate type lays underneath the entire object structure.
->A point is a basic building block that depends on the coordinate type.
->boxes, linestrings and rings are all a collection of points, so they
  naturally depend on their element type - the point type.
->polygons are a collection of rings, existing only to allow the
  specification of holes. All other 'polygon-like' attributes are
  associated with rings, so they should naturally depend on their
  element type - the ring type.
->multi_polygons are a collection of polygons, so they naturally depend
  on their element type - the polygon type.

I fail to see the advantage in the dependency of polygons on the point
type, even for consistency.

Note that if the polygon template depends on the ring type, then no custom
polygon type is required for a custom ring type, a simple typedef will suffice.

Perhaps in my spare time(?) I will try to implement a ring-dependent
polygon type and see where it leads.

Regards,

Zvi