Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Segment to Segment Distance
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-21 15:46:00

Hi Dan,

On 19-5-2012 19:44, Dan Chianucci wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm trying to find the minimum distance between two segments, however
> this feature doesn't seem to be supported
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/libs/geometry/doc/html/geometry/reference/algorithms/distance/distance_2.html
>
> Shows that this is true, however replacing the 1_49_0 with a 1_48_0
> shows that it did in fact used to be supported. I am currious as to
> why this support was removed. Or are the charts on the previous
> version documentation incorrect?

Yes, sorry. The charts on previous version docs were not always correct.
So segment-segment is not yet supported. Not that it is difficult, it is
just not yet done. So it was also not yet there in 1.48

> It seems like the latter may be the case as the tables on the previous
> versions site seem to be incorrect.

Yes, there were more incorrections in the previous version docs. They
are enhanced now using another system of generation (thanks to Bruno).

> Eg. Going down the MultiLineString column says that the distance
> operation for MultiLineString can be computed against all other
> geometries except Segment, Box and Ring. However going across the
> MultiLineString row says the only supported geometries are Point,
> MultiPoint, and MultiLineString.

So yes, that was wrong too. If the matrix is not symmetric, it is
(probably) incorrect. Currently the distance support matrix is symmetric
and afaik correct.

Thanks, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net