Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] translation and rotation proposal
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-29 16:48:50

Hi,

(I realize I reply to an older mail in this thread, but this context is
more relevant)

On 29-5-2013 3:23, Andrew Hundt wrote:
> I recommend taking a look at how eigen does things for ideas before
> any major design decisions, and consider the possibility of directly
> integrating with ublas as well once you start getting into real matrix
> operations.

The currently implemented matrix operations (transform strategies) are
using ublas.

> You may also want to have a pose object that defines the relative
> position and orientation of the object in space, for both 2D and 3D.
> This is closely related to a transform but in many cases more
> useful/easier to use. Given an object with one pose you can simply
> provide a function with the object, pose and the new desired pose,
> rather than having to construct a transform from one to the other. Of
> course this is not exclusive to the transform functions, and they
> should exist as well.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pose_(computer_vision)
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pose_%28computer_vision%29>
>

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Adam Wulkiewicz
> <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden] <mailto:adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about additional concepts like vector,
> matrix, etc.
> and how they could be used in Boost.Geometry. In our context they
> probably should be seen only as translation and rotation
> representations.
>
> /.../
>
> In the free time you may check extensions/algebra. For now there
> is only Vector concept and some algorithms (for now only for
> vectors defined in cartesian cs). Basically this is what is
> implemented now:

Please also refer to Boost QVM: http://www.revergestudios.com/boost-qvm/

This is not (yet) a boost library, and already for long in the review
queue, but it is worth to visit. I hope that it will become part of
Boost and we could then use that library (instead of current Ublas usage).

The author (Emil Dotchevski) is already a Boost Author.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net