Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [geometry] distance_info function
From: Claus Christmann (hcc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-30 15:23:04

Hi boost::geometry

I only recently started to read this email list after I found http://boost-geometry.203548.n3.nabble.com/distance-between-geometries-tp4025549p4025550.html , which google dug up for me when searching for a
method to find the closes point on a geometry.

(When I say closest point, I mean the green point in http://boost-geometry.203548.n3.nabble.com/attachment/4025550/1/ffgdbgcd.png when asking for
what is the point of the blue polygon closest to the red point.)

>From what I understand from that post there currently is no "easy" way to get
the point distance found as being the closest, i.e. something like
"point green = bg::closest(point red, polygon blue); "

My question(s) at this point are whether there is a chance to get access to
the mentioned distance_info function, or if somebody could point me to another
function that is able to get the closest (potentially projected) point in
another geometry or whether I should start to hack distance.hpp and
distance_projected_point.hpp to get me access to the closest point.

Thank you very much for any and all hints and pointers.

Regards,

Claus

--
Claus Christmann