Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Spatial Indexes: build and knn query performance for bulk loading/packing vs. linear balancing
From: Mikkel B. Stegmann (mikkel.stegmann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-12 03:10:44

Hi Adam,

thanks a lot for your valuable and detailed input (in particular the Morton
code). Actually, R-trees weren't my first choice. But when I dived into the
Boost documentation I quickly became convinced that this is way to go for
now. My first first choice was in fact to build a simple spatial
partitioning myself, and it surely would have been fun :)

But the spatial indexes offers readily available support for rectangles, in
addition to various query features and future-proofing (for example w.r.t.
less homogenous point distributions) way beyond what I personally could
warrant to put into the project.

So in summary, my future needs extends well beyond knn-query of fairly
regular points. I'll stick to linear balancing for now, and re-evaluate the
facilities that spatial indexes provide, when I progress to more complex
problems. Thanks for educating me on this matter.

Best regards,
Mikkel