Hi Valentin.

Thanks for the report. I think with this information we will be able to track down the problem.
In the meantime I suggest that either you of Volker file a bug report.

Many thanks.

Best,

- m.

On 29/10/2014 06:26 μμ, Valentin Ziegler wrote:

Hi,

I investigated Volker's example and found the problems are caused by undefined behaviour within the comparison function object sort_on_segment_and_ratio, which is used for sorting vectors of indexed_turn_operation.

Running Volker's code, we get into the following callstack:

copy_segment_point(... SegmentIdentifier const& seg_id, .... )

copy_segment_points(...)

sort_on_segment_and_ratio::get_situation_map(...)

sort_on_segment_and_ratio::consider_relative_order(...)

sort_on_segment_and_ratio::operator()(...)

std::sort(...)

enrich_sort(...)

enrich_intersection_points(...)

difference(polygonA, rectB, polygonC);

Note that  the seg_id argument for copy_segment_point is taken from the indexed turn operations being compared (i.e., either subject.seg_id or subject.other_id).

If seg_id.source_index == -1, copy_segment_points does not copy any data, thus the computation continues with random junk values from the stack :-(

This is exactly what happens in Volker's example, as some of the turning points have other_id.source_index == -1.

As a consequence, sort_on_segment_and_ratio::operator()(...) gives nondeterministic comparision results which confuses Visual Studio's std::sort implementation so much that it starts writing to memory locations outside the input range (Please note that this is NOT a bug of std::sort).

I do not have the expertise to tell where these negative source_index values come from and whether these values are to be expected or if they arise due to some issue. It would be nice if someone could look into this.

Valentin

--
Valentin Ziegler | vziegler@think-cell.com
Senior Software Engineer

We are looking for C++ Developers: http://www.think-cell.com/career

think-cell Software GmbH http://www.think-cell.com
Chausseestr. 8/E phone / fax +49 30 666473-10 / -19
10115 Berlin, Germany US phone / fax +1 800 891 8091 / +1 212 504 3039
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 85229 | European Union VAT Id DE813474306