Boost logo

Proto :

Subject: Re: [proto] So I heard proto make AST ...
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-10 15:52:31

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 8/10/2010 2:52 PM, Joel.Falcou_at_[hidden] wrote:
>> Eric Niebler wrote:
>>> A pre-order traversal, pushing each visited node into an mpl vector? How
>>> about:
> <snip>
>> I'm on a tiny mobile, but my idéa was to have such algo as proto
>> transforms & grammar
>
> Good. Now if you are saying that Proto's existing transforms are too
> low-level and that things like pre- and post-order traversals should be
> first class Proto citizens ... no argument. Patch? :-)

I think i am a little bit responsible for that whole discussion as i
mentiones on IRC that proto transforms are hard for me.
So, why are they so hard. I am currently learning the principles of
compiler construction (lecture at university). We learn all those
fancy algorithms to optimize the hell out of our codes.
But these algorithm all rely on bottom-up, top-down and what-not
traversals of your AST.
proto transforms work a little bit different from these tree
traversals. BUT they are very similiar, and probably as you said, a
little more low level.
Just my 2 cents ;)

Proto list run by eric at boostpro.com