Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Phil Nash (phil.nash.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-26 14:19:16

 Hi all,

Sorry if this is a basic question - but I was wondering what the status was
of the rewrite effort of the threads library.
Browsing through the archives it looks like it's well underway - but do we
have any idea when it might start to displace the current library yet?
In the meantime, how "safe" is it to use the current (Bill Kempf's)
implementation? I get the impression the basic level API shouldn't change
much, if at all - but is that still the case? In my current day job we're
using ACE, but having some issues with it in general and there is an
opportunity to push Boost for threading and Aync IO, but right now I'm not
sure of the maturity of ASIO or the prospects for Boost.Threads.
Actually, one of the problems we have with ACE Threads is an unreasonable
hard limit on TLS handles. What's the situation with the Boost libraries,
both present and future, in this regard?

Also, I'm not a threading expert, and my time is very limited (where have
you heard that before?), but is there any way I can assist with the ongoing
effort (in a non-committed way!)?
I have access to MSVC 6, 7.1 and 8 on Windows, and GCC 4 on Mac OS X
10.4(the latter being a new platform for me, so I'm no authority).

In any event, where should I be looking for the latest development source?

Thanks and best regards,

[)o
IhIL..