From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-07 09:37:48

At 02:46 PM 7/7/99 +0200, Valentin Bonnard wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> [ How to force people to adopt container
>> traits - sniped ]

I didn't actually use the word "force"; I would have preferred the
summary to have used "encourage".

By the way, this is NOT a criticism of Valentin. English isn't the
native language for several of the boost_at_[hidden] contributors,
including Valentin, and they deserve nothing but praise and
encouragement for their efforts. I could not do anywhere near as
well.

>We don't need to force anyone if:
>
>- the trait values all have an unknown
> special value
>
>- the algorithms can deal with that
> unknown value
>
>Also note that third parties can provide
>the traits for containers simply by reading
>the documentation.
>
>At any rate it doesn't require any changes
>to the containers classes !
>
>See
>http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/bonnard/ContAlgo/ContTraits.hpp
>for an _example_ (I will probably rewrite it).

Is the usage to then include container_trait<whatever> as a template
parameter for one of your algorithms? I would like to see a usage
example.

I worry that algorithms on containers will be less automatically
extensible to new containers than algorithms on iterators.

--Beman

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost