From: Reid Sweatman (reids_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-08 14:19:03

> This is the rationale:
> It is seldom that a compiler can make the above proof.
> Very few compilers implement the aforementioned optimization.

Okay, so it appears I did understand it correctly. So basically, you're
making a trade-off of exception-safety for speed, right? And just out of
curiosity, can you or anyone else supply a list (even partial would be
useful) of compilers that either do or don't optimize as you mention?
Thanks. Just for the record, I'm currently working with the last service
release of both VC++ 5 and 6, but with a possibility of going to CodeWarrior
for Windows sometime in the indeterminate future and for reasons no one's
bothered to make clear <g>. I'd be willing to bet a beer that MS compilers
*don't* do the optimization, although sometimes they surprise you on stuff
like that.

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost