From: Paul Baxter (paje_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-09 11:37:51

Dear all,

Thanks again for some excellent libraries and some interesting valuable
discussions on this list. I'm learning a lot from it all.

I wondered if it would be desirable to extend Boost's remit to include
descriptions of some of the issues raised. It could supplement the existing
guidelines for contributors.
This has just been suggested for one specific issue, but could be more
generally useful. (but perhaps to onerous for one person)

Since Boost is a repository of libs with good programming practice, and
since these are often discussed in this list, perhaps distil some of the
emails into a tips section of the list (rather like Allan Clarke's tips
culled from the newsgroups)

This would make Boost more than a 'library' site, but I suspect still
promote the same practices that the originators intended when providing the
site in the first place.

It will help spell out more of the issues for library contributors, and more
importantly help less experienced programmers like me comprehend the issues
more clearly.

I would offer to do this myself, but feel I don't yet understand the issues
well enough to 'edit' the mailing list's threads into an expanding set of
coherent articles.

I'm not suggesting this as replacing the primary aims of boost, merely an
occasional way of encouraging the use of good techniques.
If the list is archived somewhere, perhaps even just a link to the thread(s)
which discuss a topic.

Comments

Paul Baxter

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost