From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-14 13:01:53

At 07:09 PM 7/14/99 +0200, Dietmar Kuehl wrote:

>Baseline: I like to hack and do so for free but only if it is fun.
>Supporting non-standard compilers is no fun (at least not to me) and
>would also cost me money.

Yes, Boost depends on volunteers for everything. So if an author
doesn't want to support a non-standard platform, we should not
complain.

Other people can always volunteer to help an author port to some
non-standard platform:

* Compile and test to verify an implementation is actually already
portable.
* Supply small macro and other workarounds, if the author is
interested.
* Supply an alternate implementation, to be added to the
distribution package, if a total workover is called for.

The trick is to deal with the issues of non-standard compilers as
cheerfully as possible for the next year or so. I really believe by
then there will be enough choices available so the issue will fade
away. There were similar problems with C 10 or 12 years ago, but
once a few compiler vendors started advertising "ANSI C Compilant",
many other fell quickly into step.

--Beman

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost