From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-15 18:57:50

At 02:40 PM 7/15/99 -0700, Reid Sweatman wrote:

>> [comments favoring maximum C++ standard compilance]
>
>Yeah, I'd basically agree with all that. And while I know that MS
is much
>more generally hated in Europe, and particularly Germany (got
several
>friends there, and they're uniform on that attitude <g>) than in the
States,
>I'd still like to personally kick Billy G.'s butt for the
heel-dragging
>"not-invented-here" syndrome. I've got several friends working at
MS, and
>*they* have the same attitude towards the tools they have to work
with <g>.

When we talk about compliance issues, there often isn't any way to
avoid some discussion of vendors. But please do stick to technical
issues. This isn't the right forum to talk about vendor attitudes,
even though attitudes may be part of the problem. Enough said.

By the way, Ross Smith at http://animal.ihug.co.nz/c++/compilers.html
has recently begun to build a C++ Compiler Comparison Chart. This
kind of effort may help move conformance issues to center stage.

--Beman

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost