From: Andy Glew (glew_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-28 23:36:11

>I have read paragraphs 2 and 3 several times and can't see any
>difference, other that the ordering of sentances and "..." falling
>back to <...>. Oddly enough, the only problem I ever had with a real
>compiler was with "..." although that was clearly a compiler bug.
>
>What are you seeing that I am missing?

Well... back when I followed the original ANSI C meetings,
the intent was loosely described as follows:

#include <header>

was *NOT* required to include a file. <header> could be a
precompiled header file, or even could be an object hardwired
into the compiler. The implementation was *NOT* required to
disclose how to go from source.h to <header>, and was certainly
not required to implement the usual UNIX semantics of
a search path without an initial dot.

#include "source.h"

was required to be able to find and include a user's files.