From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 1999-08-19 08:24:56

Valentin Bonnard wrote:

> Reid Sweatman wrote:
>
> > Pardon the ignorant question, but it's been some years
> since I last worked
> > on a UNIX system, so I was wondering whether UNIX' endline
> convention is
> > universally accepted by, say (for the sake of argument
> <g>), Windows-hosted
> > C++ compilers, or whether non-UNIX people will have to do a
> search and
> > replace on endline markers. Thanks.
>
> There are three conventions:
> - Unix
> - DOS
> - Macintosh
>
> On Unix and Mac there are conversion tools. I guess
> there are such tools for Windows too.
>
> gcc usually accepts the DOS convention (with
> many warnings using -pedantic), but here it's
> a special case where it causes an error.
>
> I don't know about Windows compilers accepting Unix
> conventions. The only Mac compiler (ie CodeWarrior)
> certainly accepts unconverted Unix files.

The only Windows compiler I currently use is Borland's C++ Builder 4.0,
which accepts Unix and DOS endline conventions equally well. It generates
DOS by default, but if the file is already Unix-endlined, it will keep that
convention. The GLUT implementation I use is Unix-endlined.

I do use a simple conversion program sometimes, however, because Notepad
does NOT handle Unix-endlined files!

        -Steve