From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-08-20 08:47:14

Valentin Bonnard wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> At 06:03 PM 8/17/99 +0200, Valentin Bonnard wrote:
>>
>> >1/
>> >namespace boost
>> >{
>> >#include <boost/stdint.h>
>> >
>> >Hum hum
>>
>> I assume "hum hum" means you think the usage is a bit odd.
>
>It is
>
>> And it
>> is, but since the only thing in stdint.h are typedefs, we can
hijack
>> them into namespace boost if we want to, AFAIK.
>
>AFAIK, you are _never_ allowed to include a standard header inside
>a namespace. I am sure that this can at least give strange results,
>like having two functions:
>- foo::strchr
>- std::strchr
>in scope.

Yes, but <boost/stdint.h> isn't a C++ standard header. It is a
placeholder until such time as <stdint.h> and <cstdint> are
standardized. It provides a transition mechanism which allows boost
to move forward, embrace what will almost certainly become standard,
yet not modify the currently C++ standard's namespace std.

--Beman