From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-08-23 07:18:57

At 02:48 PM 8/20/99 -1000, Thomas Plum wrote:

>The Java spec spent one sentence assuring programmers that CR,
CR-LF, and LF
>are all acceptable line terminators. Is that supposed to be rocket
science
>or something? Now I wish I'd raised the point during the C++
deliberations,
>somehow I assumed it would be so obvious in today's networked
environment
>that the standard wouldn't have to say it.
>
>I guess we could sometime ask as a DR "Is there anything in the core

>language that _prevents_ vendors from accepting CR, CR-LF, and LF
all
>as _newline_?"

I couldn't agree more. It isn't like we are talking about odd-ball
operating systems or unusual line terminators.

Please do send in a defect report!

Also, anyone out there using a compiler that won't accept CR, CR-LF,
or LF as _newline_ might want to complain to the supplier that the
compiler is broken, as a matter of quality-of-implementation.

--Beman