From: Kevlin Henney (Kevlin.Henney_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-09-01 03:32:51

Valentin Bonnard summarised:
[...]
General comments:

- no one here wants to discourage the use assertions

     Actually, that's not strictly true. I am not their greatest fan, but
     recognise that others feel them to be useful. I felt that encouraging
     their use -- or otherwise -- was a slightly different debate. For
     instance, I feel that the use of assertions in the casts made things
     more rather than less awkward.

     My concern was that if assertions in the form of <cassert> were to be
     used, and they already have been, that such use would have additional
     undesirable effects, such as ODR violation. So my two points: /1/ if
     it is going to be done then it should not be at the expense of
     convenience or well formed programs, /2/ but in many cases I question
     whether or not it should be done.

     Kevlin