From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-09-01 11:28:27

Valentin Bonnard wrote:

>Until something better emerges, I urge
>you to keep the existing code. [For assert() in casts.]

I don't think we can keep the existing code either.

I don't think we want to supply headers with even potential ODR
violations in them.

It really looks to me like the asserts have to go. We can add a note
to the docs explaining the decision.

Further, if the asserts go, the non-throwing version of the casts are
suspect.

Removing them would leave us with the throw_on_error versions only.
Which then, I suppose, don't need the extra overload selection
argument.

Dave Abrahams must be gnashing his teeth - it was his desire for the
non-throwing version (with assert) of polymorphic_cast that started
the whole idea of boost casts.

--Beman