From: Reid Sweatman (reids_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-09-01 20:04:30

> Oh and Blitz doesn't work with MSVC as it makes extensive use
> of standard
> C++ features Microsoft doesn't yet support (sound familiar!)
>
> Currently gcc is OK, maybe MSVC v7 (SP 3 of course)

Yeah, and that's what I use. Bummer. Wish they'd just fix the damn thing.

> You might also take a look at
> http://www.ccnet.com/~paulp/HPGP/HPGP.html
> High performance gaming in C++ but directly relevant to any
> C++ benchmarking

Well, gaming is what I do, so it's directly relevant to me. However, the
link appears to be down right now.

> Please read them before deciding on hand coding, as the
> second link directly
> compares with Intel assembly code.
>
> I guess the C++ designers weren't kidding when they strived
> not to minimise
> any overhead used by C++
> (I made sure I ditched Microsoft's memory allocator after
> benchmarking)

Somehow that doesn't surprise me, either. A memory allocator that doesn't
fit your app can waste an awful lot of time, besides causing problems from
memory fragmentation.