From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-09-08 05:56:50

Dave,

>> PS it occures to me that there are many other pattern matching
algorithm,
> which are not currently catered for (Knuth Morris Pratt, Boyer-Moore,
> Multi-string searches etc), maybe what is needed is some kind of generic
> "pattern" encapsulation, with match, search, grep etc operations applied
> it, just a thought.....

Sounds challenging, to say the least!<

Maybe - in this case the traits class encapsulates just the algorithm - the
wrapper class "pattern" would be pretty dumb, as would the search routines.
 The key is that I've realised from this discussion that most of the traits
class for regex++ is obsolete *in the presence of std::locale* - in effect
most of the traits class can be replaced by a locale's facets, or to put it
another way you guys have been successful in forcing me to think :-)

Brenan, suggested that I put together a short document to set out some
principals, when I can find the time this should give the group something
more concrete to deal with and accept/reject/modify etc.

John.