From: Steinar Bang (sb_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-09-09 05:45:05

>> - you may just download the whole thing (SGI STL or STLport) and
>> use it over your vendor's STL

> Correct - but aren't there issues with how the SGI STL interacts
> with other non-STL portions of vendor libraries (eg, iostreams)? I
> have no hard evidence of this, but I recall seeing something to that
> effect.

Another issue is string. Do you want the non-refcounting
basic_string<> delivered with SGI STL? Or do you want the possibly
refcounting basic_string<> delivered with the native STL?

There could be numerous other issues. It may be that the STL part of
a certain C++ Standard Library interacts with the compiler and with
other parts of the library in ways that are incompatible with SGI STL.

Also the entire idea of having a native Standard Library is that you
*don't* have to install and maintain yet another library.