From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-11-10 17:18:00

>I think this is the consensus so far.
>
> - add template non-member functions for operator == and operator
!= for
>shared_ptr that allow base/derived mixes
> - add template non-member functions for operator == and operator
!= for
>shared_array that (of course) do not allow base/derived mixes
> - add a non-throwing swap member function for shared_ptr and
>shared_array
> - add a specialization of std::swap for shared_ptr and
shared_array
> - add a specialization of std::less for shared_ptr and
shared_array

>The specialization of swap improves the performance of some
algorithms in
>the standard library. The specialization of less allows associative
>containers to work with objects of shared_ptr/shared_array type as
keys.

>By the way, I'd be happy to do work on some or all of these, if
whoever's
>maintaining this file now (Beman?) would like the help.
>
> -- Darin

I have been maintaining it, but defer to Greg Colvin for the final
decisions on whether or not to include a change. That's to prevent
"design by committee" problems.

So, Darin, go ahead and produce an updated version. That would be a
help. Post it to the mailing list if you want comments. But I will
only post it on the web site as the official version if Greg OK's it.

--Beman