From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-11-16 16:08:51

Paul Baxter wrote:

>Further to the recent discussions on the MT and the general random
number
>class, a couple of points:
>
> ..
>
>2) The MT itself is free to use, however the code provided
(including some
>new simple validation bits and pieces) is LGPL (not GPL as Jeet
initially
>stated)
>3) We'd need to provide an implementation that is LGPL/GPL free. Is
Jeet's
>code direct from the paper or derived from existing LGPL code?

After 1) reading both Jeet's and the MT C code, and 2) re-reading the
appropriate section of a book on copyrights, I would not want to post
Jeet's code without permission from Makoto Matsumoto and Takuji
Nishimura.

I have emailed Makoto-san asking such permission, and also inviting
him to join the discussion here. If the response is favorable, the
problem is solved.

--Beman