From: jsiek_at_[hidden]
Date: 1999-11-29 00:35:50

Sorry, I'll try to reword that, though realize that in the final
analysis I agreed with your suggestion.

The original version of the random_access_helper did not define
the random_access_iterator_tag. Using that version, someone could
reasonably have an iterator that is not a RandomAccessIterator
(because it is missing operator-) but still use the helper.

Now the reason we added the random_access_iterator_tag was
merely for convenience, but once we make that addition, as
you've pointed out, we really should require the operator-.

So the issue then is, do we want to make the helper usable
by almost-random-access-iterators, or do we want to provide
the convenience of the tag definition. I would go with the
convenience of the tag definition, even though it narrows
(very slightly) the number of situations that the helper
can be used.