From: Andy Glew (glew_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-03 12:02:19

????????

Creating a stable rooted heap with O(1) inspection
of maximum is trivial:

Extend the keys with an insertion count, and use that
in comparisons.

A fixed size insertion counter, of course, overflows after
a long time - 2^32, or 2^64, or 2^128 insertions. If that
is not long enough, recompacting the keys is straightforward,
as long as the size of the heap N is much smaller than the
maximum size of the insertion counter C --- O(N log N)
time with O(1) storage. If you amortize that in the cost of
heap maintenance, it still leaves us at O(log N) insert.

I don't know that I would recommend librarizing such a stable
heap transformation. I think it was just the pendant in me responding.