From: Boris Fomitchev (fbp_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-14 19:09:55

Well, abs:: already contains the conditional you need, just make it explicit (example below
works):

template <typename IntType>
inline rational<IntType> abs(const rational<IntType>& r)
{
#ifndef BOOST_NO_STDC_NAMESPACE
    // We want to use abs() unadorned below, so that if IntType is a
    // user-defined type, the name lookup rules will work to find an
    // appropriate abs() defined for IntType.
    //
    // We protect this with BOOST_NO_STDC_NAMESPACE, as some compilers
    // don't put abs into std:: (notably MS Visual C++) and so we can't
    // "use" it from there.
    // fbp : changed to explicit qualifier
    // using std::abs;
    // Note that with normalized fractions, the denominator is always positive.
    return rational<IntType>(std::abs(r.num), r.den);
#else
    // Note that with normalized fractions, the denominator is always positive.
    return rational<IntType>(::abs(r.num), r.den);
#endif
}

If you need more of suct tricks, take a look at STLport (www.stlport.org).
There, I often had to resolve this problem in same namespace, which even required
proxy functions to be deployed.

Best regards,
-Boris.