From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-19 13:27:40

Paul Moore writes:

> Grrr. I think I'd blame them. If they define _MSC_VER, they should be
> compatible. Bugs and all. After all, most people only use _MSC_VER
> as a way of protecting bug-workarounds...

As Dave surmised, the Microsoft standard library headers are littered
with _MSC_VER conditionals, so you can't compile the headers correctly
without defining _MSC_VER appropriately. And given just how buggy the
compiler is it's hard, and often no favor to the user, to be bug-for-bug
compatible. What you need is to fix as many bugs as you can while still
being able to compile the libraries.