From: Moore, Paul (Paul.Moore_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-22 09:11:56

From: Dave Abrahams [mailto:abrahams_at_[hidden]]
> 1. I presume you're using gcc 2.95.2...

Yes.

> 2. You might want to look at the header files that come with
> gcc to see if char_traits is even implemented. Those libraries
> are woefully out-of-date.

I'm using a libstdc++ v3 snapshot. I checked, and char_traits is in there.

> 3. Boris Fomitchev and I have found, in doing the latest
> STLPort for gcc, that -fhonor-std doesn't actually work. Amazing
> as it may sound, std is still (mis-)treated specially, though in
> slightly mysterious ways. That's why the STLPort for gcc doesn't
> actually put anything in std. Instead, everything goes into
> namespace stlport and the header files
> automatically do
> #define std stlport
> for you.

Aargh.

> 4. Unlike earlier versions, the upcoming STLPort has a
> complete standard library implementation, so it can act
> as a substitute for your outdated library. I can probably
> send you an alpha version, if you care.

No, it's OK. As long as my code is "supposed" to work, I won't worry. After
all, I was only checking with gcc - the real build was on MSVC, which works.
(Oh, dear - is this a case of MSVC getting something right? Must file a bug
report to get it corrected...)

Thanks for the reassurance,
Paul.