From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-28 10:05:55

At 08:32 AM 12/28/99 -0500, scleary_at_[hidden] wrote:

>Should we look at doing a portable multi-threading library? I have
the
>beginnings of one, but it doesn't allow timed waits or waiting for
multiple
>objects -- would these be considered essential or optional?

Yes, a portable multi-threading library would be a great addition to
boost, and the C++ programming community as a whole.

You might want to approach it cautiously, however.

First, it may be more difficult that it appears. I have heard Bjarne
say several times he doesn't think it can be done properly without
language support. I don't know where he feels the problem lies, but
you might want to query him.

Second, others (POSIX, etc.) have done a great deal of work in this
area, so unless you are knowledgeable about such efforts you are
likely to waste a lot of effort reinventing the wheel.

Ideally it would be nice for someone with a strong background in
multi-treading issues were part of the team. I expect the
construction of killer test cases to particularly be a function of
hard-won experience.

If Steve and any other boost people feel up to giving it a try;
great! Go for it!

--Beman